Technology plays a vital role at Sacred Heart of Jesus School for all students Pre-Kindergarten through eighth grade. Each of our classrooms has an interactive whiteboard that provides our teachers with a wide range of educational tools to more thoroughly teach the classroom material. Expanding the opportunities for students to learn maximizes their understanding of the classroom material and makes learning fun and engaging. All of our teachers have been trained on how best to integrate the interactive Promethean Boards and computers into the class curriculum. Students use computers for research, presentations, skills practice assessment, and word-processing.
- All students kindergarten through eighth have access to Chromebooks, student-friendly laptops that allow for technology-centered learning. A Chromebook is a laptop running Chrome OS as its operating system. The devices are designed to be used primarily while connected to the Internet, with most applications and data residing in "the cloud".
- Teachers and students can use the Chrome books in the classroom for research, skills practice, presentations, and word-processing.
- All grades have an interactive Promethean Board in the classroom. Our teachers are able to tap into over 70,000 lesson plans from educators around the world. This is truly a revolutionary educational tool that provides our students an edge in using technology to enhance learning.
- All classroom teachers have an Apple computer in their classroom along with their interactive Promethean Board.
- Handheld clickers are used through Active Vote to engage students, assess their understanding of the classroom material, and make learning exciting.
- All classes have access to wireless network coverage. This school-wide wireless internet is also accessible to faculty, staff, and volunteers.
- SHJ uses Sycamore for a parent/student information and communication system. This web-based student information system allows for parents to stay connected from any device with Internet access.
- SHJ has implemented the Lexia Reading program into our elementary curriculum. Lexia is an award-winning web-based software that provide students foundational reading skills in a fun, educational and interactive manner.
- SHJ uses the Math in Focus program for teaching math. Math in Focus offers the Singapore math pedagogy that allows for fewer topics taught at greater depth at each grade level. The program features visual representations and modeling strategies to solve complex problems; a consistent concrete-pictorial-abstract progression; and strong development of both conceptual understanding, place value, and computational fluency so that students understand the “how” as well as the “why.
- SHJ also integrates online textbooks and teaches typing mastery in all grades.
- Students in technology classes, meet weekly. They use Chrome books to work on keyboarding skills, programming, and website building. Other technology products are offered to expand their understanding of a variety of technology tools.
Our school is continuously looking for opportunities to build a solid technology foundation. We see great opportunities in leveraging technology and new approaches to learning. SHJ wants all students to have a full educational experience and we strive to give the best the industry can offer.
© 2017 Sacred Heart of Jesus School. All rights reserved.